The software wasn't that hard, basically I took Marcel de Kogels chip8-emu, added my own routines for input and output, and ported the thing to the LPC2103-chipset. Aside from yer olde snafus you always run into when porting code, it wasn't that hard. The code is still a bit on the hackish side, tho', for example I still want to make the keys configurable (the original hardware the chip8-software ran on had a 16 keys, this console only has 6) and I do need to invent some way to change binaries without uploading the complete emu again. Because of these things, I won't make the firmware available on this site yet: please mail me for the code.
Ow, and I didn't win the hackaday design challenge. Well, better luck next time :)